Technique Tip – Modifying your cut file
Hi everyone, this is Neela with a Tech Tip. Isn’t it awesome that we get cut files along with our kits every month. I loved the Christmas tree background cut file and wanted to use it. But instead of using it as is, I decided to modify it. It is very easy to play around and modify your cut files. Try to experiment, it is a lot of fun. I wanted to use only one large tree in the background instead of multiple little trees. So here are the steps I followed, to modify the file:
- Open Silhouette software and open the .png file. Then convert it to the cut file. This is your unmodified cut file.
- Select the cut file and click on Object/Release Compound Path from the menu.
- This will let you select the individual components of the cut file. As you can see, after selecting ‘Release Compound Path’, you will see the individual selections highlighted.
- Then delete all the components you don’t need. In this example, pretty much every Christmas tree except one.
- You are then left with one lone Christmas Tree.
- Now select the object and enlarge it and place it where you want it to cut from your cardstock.
Here is the layout I created with this technique:
I backed the cut out tree with various patterned paper from the Main kit and add ons from this month. I just love how well all the different collections work so well together. I stitched around the tree for a little more texture and used a photo of my boys for this layout.
And here are some close ups:
Hope you will try this technique out and share your creations on the ScrapbookCircle Facebook page. We would love to see your creations.